Improved. Iconic. Impressed.
The all new Hatch ICONIC has arrived at the Silver Bow! It’s been a bit since Hatch Reels have been available and we are super stoked with the release of this updated reel.
Thanks to COVID shutdowns this past year Hatch Outdoors were not able to be open for operation due to the size of their facility and the manpower needed to run the company. Hatch, like other companies in the fly fishing industry, doesn't solely make fly reels, their main business is in the offroad auto parts world which is considerably larger than the fly market. Now with restrictions easing and some normalcy, Hatch is back up and running and producing reels again.
At first glance the Hatch ICONIC fly reel doesn't appear dramatically different when compared to the older Finatic series, but upon closer inspection there have been numerous notable upgrades...
- Look - The Iconic Reel retains the now ‘Iconic’Hatch window pattern with 6 fins, recalling the original Finatic model. Instantly identifiable and classic, the Hatch look is simply Iconic. However, it was due for a style upgrade that can be seen in the shape of our drag knob - which brings depth - and the ‘H’ brand logo. They now use a bright dip finishing that brings out the shine of the machined parts while also keeping the strong coloring of matte anodize.
- Machined Reel Foot - Hatch was the first and now one of the only reel manufacturers to make the reel body out of one piece. It is an expensive way to produce the reel but has the advantage of never having a reel seat loosen up due to galvanic corrosion. For the Iconic, they have reshaped the reel seat for a more contemporary look.
- Improved Sealing - Through better design and concentricity, Hatch has increased sealing by eliminating water entry points through subtracting superfluous components from past models.
- Improved Stability - The Iconic reel does not utilize a cassette to house the drag system as in past models - instead, it is now built into the body. This has decreased axial runout which creates a more stable and solid design.
- New Drag Material - The new carbon-filled drag material not only dissipates heat faster but also creates a smoother feel. This is Hatch's smoothest drag system to date.
- New Spool Design - In many ways, the Iconic spool is similar to previous models, but with a few key differences. They have ported the spool arbor which will allow lines to dry better on the reel after use - think of it as ventilation. Hatch has also cut aesthetic holes into the Mid Arbor spools, making it much simpler than before to distinguish between a large and mid arbor.
- New Spool Nut - New look, similar function, but with a big improvement. On the Iconic, Hatch has implemented a one piece design in order to prevent pieces from coming apart.
- New Handle / Counterweight - The new handle design significantly reduces the risk of galvanic corrosion. While they have retained the aluminum handle, it now has a softer look and feel.
- Improved Feel - The Iconic Reels have a smoother, more subtle click feel. Combined with ultra low start-up inertia and smoother finish work, this new Hatch fly reel is sure to impress.