Competitive fly fishing has been a driving force in the development and progression of nymphing techniques. Over the last several decades, each country hoping to compete at the annual FIPS Mouche World Fly Fishing Championship has had to advance and perfect the skills needed to chase the dream of winning. Traditionally European anglers have been at the forefront of the development of improved nymphing techniques, thus the name European nymphing.
In this instructional video, Devin Olsen and Lance Egan share their knowledge of these modern “European" nymphing techniques. After more than 20 collective years of representing Fly Fishing Team USA, Devin and Lance have acquired the skill and knowledge to now repeatedly medal at the World Championships. Their combined resumes include team silver, team bronze, two individual bronzes, three National Championships, three America Cup titles and numerous domestic competition medals.
In this video Devin and Lance begin with foundation and theory then progress to execution of advanced nymphing techniques. These new techniques are sure to bring any angler enjoyment, success and improved nymphing ability.
Specific topics covered include:
- The pros and cons of European vs. suspension/strike indicator nymphing
- European nymphing gear and rigging
- Casts for European nymphing
- The execution - fishing and detecting strikes upstream, up and across, and down and across
- Fourteen confidence flies from Devin and Lance
- Duration: 1 hour 23 minutes