It's always a fish until proven otherwise.
Words of wisdom, with a little humor, by our shop guide manager Bo Brand. Bo has spent plenty of days guiding new to experienced anglers on the Spokane and Grande Ronde Rivers chasing the magical sphere down the river. While this short bit of wisdom applies mainly to indicator fishing, it translates just as much to dry/dropper rigs so many of us love fishing around the west during the summer.
3 words to live by from Bo...
Do you ever get tired of your guide yelling at you about missing fish, not setting the hook, or you just don't have a lot of success fishing subsurface? Here's how to fix it...
- Set the Hook
- If your indicator goes down... Set the Hook
- If your indicator goes upriver... Set the Hook
- If your indicator goes downriver (faster than the current)... Set the Hook
- If your indicator goes left, right, stops, or anything unnatural that you didn't make it do... Set the Hook
- If your indicator levitates... Set the Hook
- Be the indicator. Beat the guide to the hook set. If he yells "SET!"... you are probably too late.
Long story short if you treat every unusual movement of the indicator, or dropper fly, like a potential fish eat you will catch more fish. Guaranteed. It's always a fish until proven otherwise.