We are approaching those dog days of summer, I guess you could say they are already here even! Fishing reports will probably more or less sound like a broken record for a bit. Although we do have some cooler whether in the forecast which could mix up the conversation a bit. Every river is fishable, some days better than others. The exception is the Coeur d'Alene, that river always gets the lowest and slowest.
Where ever you go here is what you need to know if the weather is hot...
- Fish early
- Stay late
- If you fish late it's always a good idea to temp waters and make sure they are not above 70 degrees
- Fish faster / deeper slots
- Terrestrials (hoppers / ants / beetles)
- Attractors - whether dry or nymph
- Try smaller flies, late summer fish get a little more selective
- Extend out your leaders / drop tippet size down